'e' key not being outputted

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 'e' key not being outputted
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:50:33 -0500

On 23-Feb-2006, David Gunter wrote:

| I have installed a new Fink (stable-only) under OS X 10.4.  I then
| installed octave and all the related packages.  If I run Octave in
| interactive mode it seems to not accept the 'e' key.  Something is
| being registered - if I type 'e' then the next character I type will
| not appear as well.  It is as if typing 'e' puts the command line
| into some other mode.  Running Octave against a created *.m file
| works fine.

What version of Octave do you have?

| I suspected readline was the problem but the gnuplot installed under
| Fink works fine (it uses the same readline package doesn't it?)

Not necessarily.  I think gnuplot can be linked with readline, but is
not by default.  Instead, it has its own simple readline-like key
bindings, but it does not provide a complete replacement for readline.

| I get this behavior whether Octave is run in an xterm or inside an
| Aqua terminal window.
|
| Any ideas as to what's happening?

No.  Since you are the first to report this, I suspect the problem is
local to your system.  What stty settings do you have (if this even
makes sense with Mac OS X, I have no idea).  Do you have a .inputrc
file, and if so, what does it have in it?  What happens if you type e
followed by Enter?  Does Octave respond with 2.7183 (the value of the
special constant e), indicating that the character is just not being
echoed or is the input completely lost?

jwe