printf() and matrices bug?

From: Maarten D. de Jong
Subject: printf() and matrices bug?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:16:17 +0100 (CET)

It seems that there is a bug (or rather, unexpected feature) when using
printf() in conjunction with matrices in Octave 2.1.71. If I enter

a = rand(3)
printf("%f %f %f\n", a)

then what is printed is a.', not a. I haven't been able to find anything
relating to this issue in the mailing list archives (neither bug nor
help), hence my question: is this as intended (for example, to be
compatible with Matlab) or a bug?

With kind regards,
Maarten