Re: Best ways to free memory within c++ DLD's

From: Jason Hoogland
Subject: Re: Best ways to free memory within c++ DLD's
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:32:20 +1000

Thanks,

Yeh, I tried dmalloc and valgrind.  I found this helpful with dmalloc:
http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2001/msg00880.html

but even clearing all variables at the end using 'clear a* b* c*' etc rather
than 'clear' as noted, I still could not get a log file to be created, even
though dmalloc seemed to compile and function ok on an x86_64 machine.

Valgrind worked fine too but gives me a lot of info, and shows that just
opening and closing octave results in some 'definite' memory loss, and it
looked like a lot of work to figure out where my scripts might be leaking.
So quickest way seems to be to try and just release as much of the memory in
my relatively simple code as possible.

Jason

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 20:57, Miquel Cabanas wrote:
> hi,
>
> this is not a reply to your question, but a point to a possibly helping
> tool in situations like this: check the Valgrind software at,
>
> http://valgrind.org/
>
> Miquel
>
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:01 +1000, Jason Hoogland wrote:
> > Q: What are the best ways to free up memory for Octave classes at the end
> > of DLD's?

> > However there
> > seems to be memory leakage which only became evident and debilitating
> > when the iterations became large.  I'm relatively new to c++.  My
> > question is: what are the best ways to free up memory for Octave classes?
> >  Any tips or tricks?

Jason Hoogland                  hoogland at gmail dot com
Doctoral student                ph(w) +61 7 3365 4457
Centre for Hypersonics          ph(mob) +61 413 300 887
The University of Queensland    UTC+10
Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia    http://www.marsgravity.org