Re: Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package

From: Marcus Vinicius Eiffle Duarte
Subject: Re: Minimal requirements from a handle graphics package
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:59:01 -0200

Shai,

let me explain: I find it very useful to have graphs saved in a file that contains both data and formatting. After I handcraft the formatting of a graph for a given purpose (let's say, printing fullcolor in brilliant glossy paper), I can just reload it and change the formatting for another purpose (a b&w printing, for example).

Of course I can do it from data files, just changing the code that originated the first figure. However, I really like to "backup" my figures as FIG files, as I can later have the exact formatting I used, even after I change code (and fail to keep track of changes - I suppose I am not the only one who forgets to keep track of different versions of code/formatting).

If there is no saving/loading FIG files, there is no lack of functionality, I just find it would be really useful. If the difficulty is the exact format of the FIG file, I guess there could be an alternate file format to store data and formatting, but it would be not a required feature, just a possible (and later) add-on.

Marcus Vinicius