Re: Statically linking octave-2.1.72 in MacOS X

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: Re: Statically linking octave-2.1.72 in MacOS X
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:40:21 +0100

Hello Joe,

I have been trying to compile octave-2.1.72 in my Tiger iBook, and
after peering a bit on this list I found the accepted method for
doing it is to use dynamic libraries (configure --enable-shared --
enable-dynamic --disable-static). Personally I do not like fixing
linking errors this way, it makes me feel something is not really
fixed but only somehow "hidden", so after some testing I have found a
way to compile it statically. I send it to the list just it is useful
for someone.

If I'm wrong, jwe can correct me, but the purpose of enabling dynamic
linking is to allow .oct (compiled C or Fortran) files to be easily
accessible. You also get a much smaller executable than if you statically load everything including the kitchen sink. Correct? I initially had the same feeling that a static linking approach would be better, but have found
that the dynamic library approach works just fine with octave.

Of course, what you say makes a lot of sense. I used octave when I was at university some years ago, and now I am starting to use it again but never did anything with compiled C/Fortran files, so that is something I was not aware of. Anyway, even in a general sense, I know that the use of dynamic linking has a lot of advantages (perhaps the most obvious being the executable size reduction) and a complete statically-linked exec is only better if you want to distribute it and do not want to worry about dependences. The point here is that I do not feel comfortable with linking errors that "magically" disappear when enabling shared libs and I wanted to find the way to fix that errors without doing that.

Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
address@hidden