Re: OT: Nonlinear Approximation

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: OT: Nonlinear Approximation
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 15:28:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

Like you said, this is basically the travelling salesman problem, but if I understand correctly, the difference is in how the distance is measured. Instead of the traditional L2 or Euclidean norm (the sqare root of the sum of the squares of the vectors, see http://mathworld.wolfram.com/L2-Norm.html), you want to measure distance using the L1 norm (the sum of the absolute values of the vectors, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/L1-Norm.html). I'm no expert on these types of problems, but this sounds like the problem that mapquest.com and maps.google.com are trying to solve, except they are usually only dealing with 2 points, and accompanying each possible path is also a velocity metric. A quick google search on travelling salesman and 1-norms showed several references to wiring printed circuit boards, which I am sure has been the subject of plenty of research, so you might try looking there.

I don't think it's the L1 norm. The difference I think comes from the fact that there is zero movement required to move from position 1 to position 3, but there is one unit of movement to move from position 1 to position 2 or 4. I'm not sure if I described it well before. What I meant to say before is that movement after I choose position 1 the distance matrix looks something like (in the local region only when you first hit the 2 on the first column of the middle row)

2.2 1.4 1 1.4 2.2 3.2
2   1   0 1   2   3
2.2 1.4 1 1.4 2.2 3.2

the 2.2 is really sqrt(5), 1.4 is really sqrt(2) and 3.2 is sqrt(10).

Bill

--
"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's
good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't