Re: compiling multiple versions on one system

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: compiling multiple versions on one system
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:55:29 +0200

I do it all the time with no problems I have like 5 versions of octave currently installed. Things to remember:

* each time you do "make install" for octave, it places links in /usr/local/bin for octave,mkoctfile and some more files to the "versioned" files (i.e. octave -> octave-2.1.71), so typing "octave" on the command line will give you the last version installed. You can of course relink these files to your preferred version and you can always use the versioned filename (i.e type octave-2.1.71 at the command line) * each time you install a new octave, you should recompile octave-forge for it. Just in case, remove the old octave-forge distribution directory and untar it again so that you don't have any old binaries floating around.

Octave forge uses the non-versioned versions of octave, mkocfile etc..., so my way of installing a new version is:

cd octave-x.x.x && ./configure && make && su -c "make install"
cd octave-forge-x.x.x && ./configure && make && su -c "make install"
now you can relink octave, mkoctfile etc...

Shai

Mike Miller wrote:
Is it a problem to put multiple versions of Octave and Octave-Forge on the same system? I have 2.1.72 currently installed and I would like to have 2.9.4 installed also. Are there any tricks in the configure or install phases that I need to use?

Mike