Parse a directory

From: Achim Graupner
Subject: Parse a directory
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:27:52 +0100

Hi all,

I want to read a bunch of files in a directory. I Matlab I would do this like
> myfiles = dir('./*.dat')
myfiles =
4x1 struct array with fields:
    name
    date
    bytes
    isdir
as seen, myfiles is an array of struct containing all filenames, sizes etc.

in octave (2.1.50) I get the error message
> myfiles = dir('./*.dat')
error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 11, column 2

in octave, myfiles does not get assigned.

Does anyone has an idea how to read in all files (i.e. *.dat) into octave without using a shell script generating matlab code.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
achim