Re: Derive quadratic equation?

From: Geordie McBain
Subject: Re: Derive quadratic equation?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:14:52 +1100

Octave's more designed for numerical computation than symbolic.  For
this sort of problem, try a CAS (Computer Algebra System) like GNU Calc
or GNU Maxima; e.g. with GNU Maxima:

(%i6) solve (a*x^2+b*x+c,x);

                         2                         2
                   sqrt(b  - 4 a c) + b      sqrt(b  - 4 a c) - b
                           2 a                       2 a