nnz and char

From: Andrew Funk
Subject: nnz and char
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:52:58 -0500

Hi,

I have some code that calls nnz on the result of a call to char, e.g.

>> m=char(magic(3)+64)

m =

HAF
CEG
DIB

>> nnz(m)

ans =

     9

This works in Matlab but in Octave I get an error:

octave:27> nnz(m)
error: nnz: wrong type argument `sq_string'

I'm wondering if this is considered a bug that would eventually be fixed
in Octave, or should I be thinking of a way to change the code to avoid
this situation?  (In the actual code there can be zeros so it makes
sense to be calling nnz, I just created a toy example above).

Thanks,
Andy