Re: 2.9.4 on mac OSX tiger

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: 2.9.4 on mac OSX tiger
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:37:53 -0600

On 21/gen/06, at 18:53, Joe Koski wrote:

Carlo,

Great work! Sorry, but I don't have an answer to your .dylib question. You
might try posting it to the Apple unix-porting list

to see if they have an answer. Most of your libreadline.dylib versions are in the Fink directory, or are installed into /usr/local/lib, so it appears that the one with the missing symbol is Apple's /usr/lib version. When you move the /usr/lib version out of the way, then the linker probably finds the
/usr/local/lib version that works.
As Dmitri pointed out in his post this is a BSD
flavour of redline.
I see in the /usr/include/readline/readline.h header:

/*$NetBSD: readline.h,v 1.11 2004/01/17 17:57:40 christos Exp $   */
/*-
* Copyright (c) 1997 The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.
* All rights reserved.
*
* This code is derived from software contributed to The NetBSD Foundation
* by Jaromir Dolecek.

For what it's worth, on my OS X 10.3.9, I don't have a
/usr/lib/libreadline.dylib; I only have /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a
installed, and I don't recall when or how it got installed, since that
directory is usually empty on a new Mac installation.
Actually I think I got  /usr/local/lib/libreadline.a from installing
the octave 2.1.7 or opendx bynaries from hpc.sf.net this might also be your case...
Which Fortran compiler did you use, perhaps gfortran? Installed via .dmg
from the website?
Actually I configured with --with-f2c so I think fortran to c translation
is used.
Joe
BTW I'm going to port my FEM semiconductor device simulator
written using from "the other brand" to octave, but I will
need some substitute for the pdetool plotting functions.
It seems very difficult to use gnuplot for that purpose
so I considered two options:

1) Octaviz, but I've not been able to build that on tiger
2) Opendx, but I would need some kind of octave/dx communication
such at that present for gnuplot...

Any suggestions or any other options?

Carlo.