Re: MATLAB / Octave compatibility

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: MATLAB / Octave compatibility
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:22:00 -0500

  Hi Bill,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 06:46:51AM -0500, Bill Denney wrote:
# On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Etienne Grossmann wrote:
#
# >Quentin, I can add a class B IP, so that, as long as you connect to the
# >wiki thru the same provider, it should be ok.
# >
# >Bill, I've added a class B IP for you, could you check out that you
# >can edit?
#
# Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure what IP you used for me.  I just got
# the message "Editing not allowed for 67.97.7.16 / 67.97.7.16: user, ip, or
# network is blocked."

I added this IP (originally, I added what I think are upenn.edu
IPs). Does it work?

[snip]
# Could it be made so that new users (who register automatically through the
# website) are allowed onto help pages that may be blanked from time to
# time (probably generally to categorize the content onto other pages)?

The point of non-automatic registration is to discourage spammers/defacers
(see http://users.isr.ist.utl.pt/~etienne/wiki.pl-defaced-edited.html).

# Also, I noticed that you had NOFOLLOW setup on all the pages.  With this,
# I also think that the system is diminished because if I understand
# correctly, google will not really index the site.  Perhaps an addition to
# the above suggestion would be to have nofollow on the world(ish) editable
# pages all add nofollow while other pages could be indexable.

I just learned about these tags, so my knowledge may be lacking.
Imho, we should have FOLLOW and INDEX, right, at least when a robot is
accessing the site. I'd say the wiki script's code, below, does just
that, but I may be wrong.

  if (($id eq $RCName) || (T($RCName) eq $id) || (T($id) eq $RCName))
  {
    $html .= '<meta name="robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW">';
  } elsif ($id eq '') {
    $html .= '<meta name="robots" content="NOINDEX,NOFOLLOW">';
  } else {
    $html .= '<meta name="robots" content="INDEX,NOFOLLOW">';
  }

If I google OctaveForGNULinux CategoryInstall, the wiki's page is
pointed to, so it seems ok. Any input on this?

# Finally, there should be all kinds of rate limiters possible to limit the
# number of comments per hour and per day per IP address.  That by itself
# would protect from everything but bot nets.

Sure, if you're willing to set it up. I myself, unfortunately, have
very little availability for this, but it would be very welcome.

# My thoughts are:  how does wikipedia handle such things.  They allow bots,
# but they don't seem to have a major problem with large scale
# vandalization.

Good point, I don't know either.

  Cheers,

  Etienne

# Bill
#
# --
# "The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth."
#   -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

--
Etienne Grossmann ------ http://www.cs.uky.edu/~etienne