Re: octave editor

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: octave editor
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:52:43 -0800 (PST)

--- alfred ogola  wrote:
> I recently downloaded the whoe of cygwin to my laptop.
> At school we use MATLAB but I understand I can use
> Octave at home for the same purpose. I wonder however
> what editor Cygwin comes with for Octave. I was almost
> downloading SciTi but it seems I have to be careful as
> my Octave is under Cygwin and not in an environment
> like Unix.

Cygwin comes with a number of editors, but does not include scite.  My personal
favorite is the windows version of scite, which I start with the following
shell script:
=========
#! /bin/bash

# assume that the file name(s) use cygwin paths
# convert to window paths

list=
while test -n "$1" ; do
        wpath=`cygpath -w "$1"`
        list="$list $wpath"
#       echo $list
        shift
done
==========
I install this shell script in /usr/local/bin in the cygwin file system.  This
maps to C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin in windows.

I also use the midnight commander editor mcedit, available under cygwin if you
install the midnight commander (mc) package.  The unix standards (vim and
emacs) are available, if you want to learn them.  You may also want to look at
nano.

> Another ssue is where to save my files. And if at all
> I save my files, where will they go to?

I suggest you spend some time reading the cygwin faq at their web site.  By
default, cygwin will create a home directory for you under
c:\cygwin\home\username, which will appear to be at /home/username when you are
running bash under cygwin.  Your current directory will be your home directory
when you first start bash.  Normal windows drive letters are accessible as
/cygdrive/drive_letter/directory.

There is a cygwin command to convert between windows and cygwin paths -
cygpath.  You might learn from experimenting with it.

Using cygwin well requires some familiarity with unix/posix concepts.  Be
prepared to invest some time in this - you will be well rewarded for your
efforts.

Good luck!

Jim Phillips