Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:36:41 -0600

Mike Miller wrote:

Maybe the issue with DLLs is that installing a stand-alone Octave that requires the Cygwin DLL will mess up the system if Cygwin is installed either before or after the Octave stand-alone is installed. Is that it?

I think this is a bit of a problem, though probably not the reason that the 2.1.50 installer is still so popular. I recently tried a network installation of cygwin+octave and had to work around some problems created by the fact that cygwin creates some registry entires. These could cause conflicts between a parallel cygwin and standalone octave based on cygwin unless the standalone octave created a separate registry entry. I recall David Bateman was working on a MinGW build, which would avoid all of this, and probably be exactly what a lot of windows users are looking for.

-Quentin