Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: how to install OCTAVE in windows XP
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:00:39 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 4-Jan-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> That certainly seems to be what people want. Even with an up-to-date > cygwin release out there, downloads of the 2 1/2 year old 2.1.50 > windows binary hit an all-time high in November, according to the > download stats page:

But doesn't this version also depend on the Cygwin DLL? So people don't really care whether it is Cygwin based. They just don't want to know about it.

But what does it mean for the version to depend on the DLL? I think what people want is to download an installable "setup.exe" or somesuch that they can simply click on a couple of times. They don't want instructions and they don't want to have to download multiple programs from multiple web sites. I don't think DLLs mean anything to most of these people.

Maybe the issue with DLLs is that installing a stand-alone Octave that requires the Cygwin DLL will mess up the system if Cygwin is installed either before or after the Octave stand-alone is installed. Is that it?

Mike