Re: Octave is enormous

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave is enormous
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 00:46:21 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, A S Hodel wrote:

Did you run the configure script with -enable-shared -enable-dl -- disable-static ? My octave binary (2.1.71) is only 20K, since the bulk of Octave is distributed among shared libraries (.oct files), about 95.8 MB in folder /sw/lib/octave/2.1.71/oct .

I didn't post the original question but I just installed Octave 2.1.72 on two Linux machines last week and I have two rather different results. In both cases I used --enable-shared, but not the other configure options. The octave binary was always small. The volume of lib/octave-2.1.72 was 374MB on an IA64 machine and 160MB on an i386 machine. So there can be a lot of variation in space used, but I don't know what controls that variation.

Mike