Re: fractional remainder

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: fractional remainder
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:57:04 +0100

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

blah BLABBER wrote:

Howdy folks,

Question: I am a new Octave user and cannot figure out how to grab the remainder of a fraction. For example, if I take 3/4 = 0.75, I just want to grab the 75.

Reason: I would like to check if the remainder is zero in order to determine if a number is odd or even. Any even number divided by 2 will have a remainder of 0, odd numbers will not. I am using this for loop control.

Problem: In Octave, rem(3,4) gives 3. Obviously I do not understand this function. Can you please suggest the appropriate function to use.

Thanks.

Try the mod function.

octave:1> mod(11,2)
ans = 1
octave:2> mod(10,2)
ans = 0
octave:3> mod(3,4)
ans = 3
octave:4> mod(7,4)
ans = 3

To read about a function you can use the help command. To read about rem, type help rem at the octave prompt etc.,

hth
raju

If your goal is to see if an integer is odd/even try the bitand function. In C the typical way to check if an integer is odd if

if (val & 1)
   /* This value is odd */
else
   /* This value is even */

The equivalent in octave would be

if (bitand (val, 1))
  # This value is odd
else
  # This value is even
endif

This should probably be faster than mod.

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary