Re: aquaterm

From: John B. Thoo
Subject: Re: aquaterm
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:54:52 -0800

Joe---

On Dec 11, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

on 12/11/05 11:50 AM, Thomas M. Canty at address@hidden wrote:

I just installed, octave, gnuplot, and aquaterm, but I am having
trouble getting octave to recognize aquaterm.  It will only set term
to x11.  What am I doing wrong?  I did install gnuplot first, but
once I got aquaterm running, i reinstalled gnuplot.

Tom Canty

I keep the lines

 export GNUTERM=aqua
 export DISPLAY=:0.0

In my .bash_profile and .bashrc files in my home directory (OS X 10.3.9 with bash shell), and that seems to tell gnuplot where to find aquaterm. If you
don't have those files yet, you can create them with a text editor.
Alternatively, you can gset aqua in octave each time you want a plot. You
don't need X11 running to work with aquaterm.

Following your example, above, I put in those two lines in my .profile file and gnuplot used Aquaterm to plot. Very neat. That was the first time I had ever used Aquaterm.

Two questions (not Octave related per se). 1. Using an X11 window, I can rotate a (3d) plot by using the mouse and the Ctrl key, but I couldn't do that with Aquaterm as it was. How? 2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Aquaterm vs. X11?

TIA.

---John.