Re: Multiple variables in ode45

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Re: Multiple variables in ode45
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 09:50:23 -0800

Vl is; well, it is my input signal. This differential euqation models a cruise controller where one vehicle gets its velocity based on the velocity of the vehicle in front of him. I am working on a fuzzy-logic based implementation for a class. I have gotten the original linear controller to work using Simulink (the whole block design made it easy...) but I don't have fuzzy logic blocks to do the fuzzy controller and I would like to see if I could do the whole thing in Octave. The solution to this equation is used in my fuzzy logic control system to determine an output that drives the automobile.

Anyway, to the actual question. Vl is the velocity of the lead vehicle and I have defined it to start at 0, then climb to 13.4 (m/s, 30 mph) over 5 seconds, hold constant for 10 seconds, and then drop back to 0 over 3 seconds. So it is a piecewise-defined function, I guess that's the best way to put it. I hope that helps, and thanks so much for the help given me.

-Ron

Shai Ayal wrote:

I'm not sure I understand -- is Vl a function or constant?
In general you e to solve your two equations (for u_dot and Vf_dot) simultaneously, and ide45 should be able to do this.

Shai

Ron Crummett wrote:

Hi all -

I am trying to solve a differential equation with ode45 that has two input variables and one output, but one of the input variables is dependent on the other. When I try searching for anything like this it is to no avail (maybe I don't know what to search for).

Anyway, the equation is

u_dot = 0.5*e_dot+1.64*(e-1.14*Vf_dot)

where e = Vf-Vl, Vl is my input, and Vf is my output. The value of u is then fed into another system (which I do have the diff. eq. for) to get Vf, if that helps.

Could someone give me some pointers on how to do this?  Thanks.

-Ron