Re: getting a Graphic

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: getting a Graphic
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:43:19 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

I know that I have the following in my .bash_profile and .bashrc:
export GNUTERM=aqua
export DISPLAY=:0.0

I understand GNUTERM=aqua but what does 0.0 stand for.
Henry

Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but here goes:

The :0.0 is an x-windows display number a more general form is <computer>:<display>.<sub-display> if I remember correctly. Computer is the host name or ip address, and when it is blank it assumes localhost. Display is the display number which I think also corresponds to the instance of the x server running on your system (you can be running many x servers simultaneously, i.e. many VNC sessions). The sub-display is the display number within that display for multiple virtual or real monitors connected (i.e. I think alt+arrows moves around virtual desktops in gnome).

Bill

--
A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.  -- unknown