memory limitations of octave

From: Markus Sondermann
Subject: memory limitations of octave
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:04:46 -0600

Hello!

I have tried to work with arrays of several millions of elements (say, 4
millions). If I try to make a FFT, I get an error message 'memory exhausted'.
I get the same message if I try to load binary data from files, e.g., if I try
to load more than 11 million single precision floating point numbers. The
problem occurs with the precompiled windows binary (version 2.1.50) as well as
with the ovtave package coming along with Fedora Core 3. What can I do to
handle large amounts of data? Compile from source with appropriate settings?

Thanks a lot for any useful answer.
Markus Sondermann