Re: Question about Range class

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Question about Range class
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:42:02 -0700

on 11/24/05 7:36 AM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

> But it happens that I did not make that choice way back when.
> As I said, I was probably influenced by Fortran's
>
>       do 10 base, limit [, increment]
>    10 continue
>
> syntax.

Back in the mid-1950s, John Backus, et al, were being told that Fortran
would never work. I read an article by him where he admitted that Fortran
syntax and structure were sometimes compromised by concerns that the Fortran
compiler wouldn't be fast enough or that the resulting "object deck"
wouldn't run fast enough. At least octave is past that stage. There is an
interesting series of articles on the development of Fortran at

  http://inventors.about.com/od/fstartinventions/a/Fortran.htm

Happy U.S. Turkey Day to all.

Joe