Re: Kolmogorov-Smirnov test

From: Hamish Allan
Subject: Re: Kolmogorov-Smirnov test
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:42:35 +0000

On 17 Nov 2005, at 20:20, Mike Miller wrote:

The k-s test (not k-s2) is used for testing if a sample came from a given population. In your case the "given population" is given by the original sample. It tests a particular kind of deviation though, maybe not what you want to know. I don't know what it does with ties in the Octave version.

The difference between the octave functions kolmogorov_smirnov_test() and kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2() seems to be that the former takes a description for the "given population" whereas the latter takes a sample.

Both return a p-value, though, so I was wondering how I might use them... then I noticed that kolmogorov_smirnov_test_2() also returns a value D which is the maximum vertical difference between the two cumulative distibution functions. I'm not sure why maximum vertical difference should be a better measure than sum of vertical distances, but at least I now have a measure :)

Thanks,
Hamish