Re: Loading complex variables???

From: Miroslaw Kwasniak
Subject: Re: Loading complex variables???
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:12:28 +0100

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 04:28:09PM -0600, Larry Blodgett wrote:
> octave:3> zmc=complex(zmcr,zmci)
> zmc = 4 + 5i
>
> This complex notation is not in the book but it works (am I wrong?).
> At my home octave does not accept the complex statement.
>
> I had to use         zmc=zmcr+j*zmci

Other answered about complex() function and I have only a small remark - if
you use the second form octave provides at startup four predefined names:

octave2.9:2> [ i j I J] ans =

  0 + 1i  0 + 1i  0 + 1i  0 + 1i

but they can be redefined as normal variables (I often use i,j as loop
variables) - it's safer to use a "numeric"  i:

    zmc = zmcr + 1i * zmci