Re: Problem building octave-2.1.72 on a Mac

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Problem building octave-2.1.72 on a Mac
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:12:39 -0700

on 11/15/05 7:05 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:

> BTW: what is -lg2c doing there?

Marius,

It shows up on the octave wiki, and was necessary with an earlier OS X. I've
always used it, but it may now be unnecessary.

Thanks for figuring this out. Yes, seeing gcc-2.95.2 anywhere is not good,
with gcc-4 already here.

This leads to an idea that I will present some day to the Apple scitech mail
list. I think that the time has come to have one version of the Apple
software developer's kit for the applications developers and a different
version for scientists/engineers/mathematicians. The latter would be more
open source friendly to applications like octave. I think that you have
already done some work in this direction.

Joe