Re: Octave chokes on this in some systems

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave chokes on this in some systems
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:26:47 -0500

On 14-Nov-2005, Shai Ayal wrote:

| the gcc bug you refer to (24196) looks cygwin specific to me (or did I
| misunderstand?). However this problem was also present in debian & FC4.

I think the key part of that bug report was that something was
happening to cause two separate static symbols to be generated when
there should have been only one.  Then bad things were happening when
an object that used the static symbol was passed from one shared
library to another.  When the object was cretead, it referenced static
symbol A, when it was deleted, it referenced static symbol B.  Or
something similar.

| Do you have any idea on how to write a test code to reproduce this
| independent of octave so we can submit a gcc bug?

Remove the parts of Octave that are irrelevant to this bug report,
then simplify further just to the point where the bug is no longer
triggered?  :-)

No, I don't have a clear idea of how to demonstrate the bug with a
simple test case.

jwe