cygwin octave-forge bugs

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: cygwin octave-forge bugs
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:49:11 -0600

Hello,
I recently tried out the latest cygwin octave packages, and they are very nice--many thanks to those who made them possible. I have found a couple of bugs in the octave-forge package (the latest one, I don't remember the release number), and since I'm not sure what the correct forum for bug reporting in the cygwin packages is, I'm sending them here:

1. Missing dependency.

When I try to use the octave-forge 'legend' command, I get the error "kpsexpand: command not found". It appears this function is provided by the tetex-bin package. After installing it, the error went away (although it was replaced by another error that I think is a bug in the script itself, which has since been updated in CVS).

2. Core dump in the "waitbar" function.

Calling this function with any arguments I tried resulted in a core dump. Based on my knowledge of the code (which I wrote) when the function is called from a smart terminal, it tries to get information about the terminal and use fancy escape sequences to produce a reverse-video progress bar across the terminal. If these features are unavailable, it defaults to a simpler version of the function that should work in more different environments. I don't know exactly what is causing the problem, but it may be possible to get the simplified version of the function to work by overriding the settings that are detected by configure.

-Quentin