Re: WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:53:07 -0500

On  7-Nov-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

| On 11/7/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On  7-Nov-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:
| >
| > | Yes. I already have 2.9.3 which I compiled from cvs source a few
| > | months ago. What's the best way to update my 2.9.3?
| >
| > Make install?
|
| So I should 'make install' even though 'make check' failed?

I think the reason make check failed is because the new copy of Octave
you compiled is picking up the old libraries that are already
installed.  Fix that problem and you will probably see better results
from make check.  One way to fix it is to remove the old version.
Another is to install the new version.  But, as I mentioned earlier,
this might leave some files around from the previous installation that
are no longer needed, and in some cases could even conflict with the
new build.  Another solution is to not build a second copy of Octave
that has the same version number as one that is already installed on
your system, but that is also significantly different than the
copy that is already installed.  I don't bump the version number in
CVS until the next snapshot.  That works OK for me, but if it causes
trouble for you, then you can always modify the version number when
you build a copy of Octave from CVS to avoid conflicts.

jwe