Re: reading HDF5 slices in octave

From: Nuno Nunes
Subject: Re: reading HDF5 slices in octave
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:33:22 +0000

On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 10:06 +0100, David Bateman wrote:
> the case of hdf5 files the group name is assumed to be the variable
> name. So I think we can load single variables from an hdf5 file. As for
> NDArray stuff as Quentin pointed out it was added in 2.1.53.

I know about the "load <file> <var>" syntax for loading selected
variables only, but not of any way of reading a 2D slice of a 3D
variable, which is what I expected to use h5read.oct for. I'm working
with 1735*4320*66 vars, and would like to load say a 4320*66 slice. Does
octave's load command have this capability? If so, it doesn't seem to be
documented anywhere. What is the option syntax?

If that's not the case, I think there would be good reason to re-include
the h5read plugin in h5utils. Even if I probably don't REALLY need it,
now that I've had time to think of alternative ways of solving my
problem...

Many thanks for all your comments,
Nuno