Re: documentation

From: Christian T. Steigies
Subject: Re: documentation
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:37:23 +0100

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:35:50PM -0800, Ron Crummett wrote:
> Hi -
>
> In installing Octave 2.1.69 on my Debian Sarge system I also installed a
> package, Octave 2.1-doc, that was purported to contain much information
> and documentation for Octave.  How do I access this file?  I tried
> typing help -i in Octave but when I do I get the following error message:
>
> /usr/share/info/octave.info: No such file or directory
>
> Did it not get installed, or is Octave looking in the wrong place?

You did not read the package descriptions.

> Where else might I be able to find it?  Is there somewhere I can
> download it in pdf or tex format?  Thanks.

address@hidden:~>wajig search octave2.1
octave - GNU Octave language for numerical computations (2.1 branch)
octave2.1 - GNU Octave language for numerical computations (2.1 branch)
octave2.1-doc - PDF documentation on the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)
octave2.1-emacsen - Emacs support for the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)
octave2.1-headers - header files for the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)
octave2.1-htmldoc - HTML documentation on the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)
octave2.1-info - GNU Info documentation on the GNU Octave language (2.1 branch)

wajig detail octave2.1-info
[...]
 This packages provides the following documentation in info format:
 the FAQ, a document on the C++ classes used by Octave, as well as the main
 octave documentation which is needed for the 'help -i foo' command within
 Octave.

wajig detail octave2.1-doc
[...]
 This packages provides the following documentation in PDF format:
 the FAQ, a reference card in a4, letter and legal formats, a document on the
 C++ classes used by Octave, as well as the main octave documentation which
 is also included in info format in the octave2.1-info package.

The PDF files are in /usr/share/doc/octave2.1-doc

Christian