reading HDF5 slices in octave

From: Nuno Nunes
Subject: reading HDF5 slices in octave
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:58:34 +0000

Dear Josselin,

I just installed the h5utils package in my Ubuntu 'breezy' machine,
expecting to get the h5read octave plugin. When I tried to find out why
it wasn't there, I eventually came upon this Debian changelog entry:

h5utils (1.7.2-5) unstable; urgency=low
   * Rebuild against HDF5 1.4.5.
   * Don't build h5read.oct anymore, as octave 2.1 now natively reads
     HDF5 slices.
   * Cleanup rules file a bit.

 -- Josselin Mouette <address@hidden>  Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:57:27 +0100

I've looked for documentation on this feature in all places I could
think of, but still don't know how to read slices from HDF5 files into
octave. Maybe I'm missing something obvious... Would you be able to tell
me how to do it, or point out where I can learn?

Many thanks!
Nuno

PS - I'm taking the liberty of cc'ing this email to people I believe
will be interested and/or able to help. Apologies if that's not the
case.