Re: which Linux distribution offers the best octave-support?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: which Linux distribution offers the best octave-support?
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:56:59 -0600

Przemek Klosowski wrote:

  And if you're really worried about latest versions, or need specific
  features of latest Octave versions, then probably you should try Debian sid.
  I'm using the stable sarge version, and use Octave a lot, without problem.
  But it has octave version 2.0.17. Sid has 2.1.71.

Just to keep the score, I want to point out that Fedora 4 includes octave
by default from the extras repository, and it's 2.1.71; octave-forge is
also included.

I think there are basically two distributions that really have a complete set of octave-related packages: Fedora and Debian (including its variants such as Ubuntu), though I think Debian has more add-on packages available than Fedora. I think David made a good point about the dependencies in octave. The 2.9.x series is adding more new dependencies to support sparse matrices, so if you want all of the features of octave and want it to perform optimally, you need to compile more than just octave itself. This makes it increasingly advantageous to use a distribution that makes packages already available for all of the dependencies, particularly if you intend to install octave on more than one computer.

-Quentin