Re: GUI + Octplot.

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: GUI + Octplot.
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:56:16 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Peter Jensen wrote:

> I am going to write a script for plotting data
> from our simulation environment. The data is
> 2 dimensional. The program will be driven partly
> from the command line and partly from a GUI. The
> command line is used for selecting the data files
> and specifying what data should be plotted. The
> GUI is used for setting markers, changing the axis,
> shifting the graphs in the X and y direction and other
> interactive stuff.
>
> I have produced a small octave script that does
> some of the command line stuff. The script uses
> gnuplot for plotting. However now I need to
> implement the GUI stuff. Has anybody used
> the FLTK bindings by Muthiah Annamalai and
> octplot by Shai Ayal to produce a interactive
> plot script ?. Is that posible ?.

I did not try it out, but octave-fltk shuld have full support for
widgets. You can use it with gnuplot as well as octplot

> For an example of what I want please look at
> the EEG viewer at :
>
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

It is an impressive graph. You will not be able to reproduce the specgram
in octplot currently. I am also not sure it is doeable in gnuplot.
However, I am working on patch objects for octplot, and once this is done,
specgram will work.

> I am familiar with python, however I would prefer
> to use octave as need do do some post processing
> of the data (FFT etc). ( Again I could use
> numarray to do the processing in python.... )
>
> Any ideas ?

there were also some tcl/tk bindings which might work. However octave you
have stumbled upon one of octave's greatest weakneses - interactive
graphics. Fortunately, this is a well known and acknowledged weakness, so
there are several people working on it.

Shai