Re: Installing octave on Linux

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Installing octave on Linux
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 15:32:30 -0600

I'm sending my response to the list in case others can offer additional help:

Martin Rosenberger wrote:

I'll try to give you some more useful information:

We do have 2 Linux Cluster with Linux Red Hat 8.0.
Each of the cluster has about 16 nodes (one node has 2 CPUs).

Usually the clusters are used for CFD (computational fluid dynamics)
calculations and for FEM (Finite Element Method) calculation in the crash area.

Because of very very large calculation time of a Matlab routine I wrote we want
to do the calculations on our cluster. For this reason we want to install
octave on some nodes and do the calculations.

Installation was done using the files from
ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/

afterwards the commands

configure
make make install

were executed

octave-forge was downloaded from a mirror page provided by

octave-forge-2005.06.13.tar.gz

octave-forge was installed in the same way:

configure
make make install

This was the procedure installing octave and octave-forge

Well, if you installed both of them from source, I'm not sure what would have caused the error message you're seeing.
Maybe someone else has an idea.

P. S.: A question that did arise, talking with my administrator is, do you have
or do you know where to get octave and octave-forge as an RPM package.

Octave was included with RedHat 8.0, so you probably have it on the installation CDs, but RedHat 8 is very old, and the version of octave is likely to be as well. If there are any octave-forge RPMs for Red Hat 8 in existence (they weren't included with the distribution), the same thing is probably true. You can get up to date versions of octave and octave-forge in RPM format in Fedora Extras if you install Fedora Core.

-Quentin