Scilab vs. Octave

From: Arvid Rosén
Subject: Scilab vs. Octave
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:00:40 +0200

Hi!
I have been using booth Scilab and Octave for quite some time now and have some questions. For those of you not familiar with Scilab; it is just another Matlab clone, providing basicly the same functionallity as Octave.

I am not very fond of Scilab as a project. Bugs are not corrected the way they should and there is no active community as in the case of Octave. However, Scilab do have some strong points, namely:

1) Object orientation in scripts.
You can define new obejct types and overload functions operating on the objects. This is great! Can this be done in Octave? Is it planned for the future?

2) Somewhat easy user-interface scripting.
You can make scripts that bring up windows with sliders and buttons and such. These scripts are platform independent which is very usefull.
Is this easy to do using Octave? Can it be done?

Do you miss this functionality in octave? I do!
I would love to hear your comments and thoughts on this topic.

Cheers
Arvid Rosén