Re: inputrc issue

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: inputrc issue
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:46:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Thorsten Meyer wrote:

some time ago I encountered the same stupid lines in /etc/inputrc also on a red hat linux system. I think it is simply a typo and was originally meant to mean

   if ( NOT -f $HOME/.inputrc ) then
           setenv INPUTRC /etc/inputrc
   endif

(I don't know the proper csh syntax for this)

this way, it could set the readline library to some reasonable default in /etc/inputrc if the user does not have his own .inputrc file.

Ha! Of course. That explains it. That makes perfect sense. Without the "NOT" it was just an attempt to overrule a user preference.

For "NOT" we use "!" in tcsh/csh.  So this works correctly:

   if ( ! -f $HOME/.inputrc ) then
      setenv INPUTRC /etc/inputrc
   endif

Thanks for the excellent suggestion.