Re: Octave forge missing from Etch ?

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: Octave forge missing from Etch ?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:20:06 -0500

* Madhusudan Singh <address@hidden> [2005-10-14 21:36]:

> I am using Debian Etch (testing) distribution. During some customary
> updates, I found to my horror that both octave-forge and
> octave-matcompat were removed.
>
> Is this a temporary problem (hopefully) ? I use octave forge functions
> a lot and do not want to sit and compile it for an otherwise Debian
> packaged octave installation.

All the new Octave-related packages are sitting in unstable and are
prevented to enter testing due to a dependency problem with some
libraries.  In the case of octave-forge, see
http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=octave-forge

Yes, this is a temporary problem, but since Debian is a complex beast
(several architectures supported and loads of cool packages), library
transitions may be painfully slow.

An aside note: the Octave-related packages in debian are now maitained by
the Debian Octave Group (http://pkg-octave.alioth.debian.org). There is
also a mailing list for this group and you might in the future send your
comments to it instead of using help-octave.

--
Rafael