Re: error "can't perform indexing operations for <unknown type> type"

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: error "can't perform indexing operations for <unknown type> type"
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:32:24 +0200

cmire a écrit :

I'm new to Octave, and I've got a short Matlab program from a professor that we are supposed to modify to solve some homework problems. I've read that Octave can run Matlab code (I've updated the ~/octaverc file accordingly, etc.).

When I try to run the code using the command "source(Exercise.m)", I get the output:

length = 10
npoints = 200
mass = 0.070000
num_sol = 4
error: can't perform indexing operations for <unknown type> type
error: evaluating argument list element number 1

I don't need help with the actual homework assignment -- I just need to get this code working so I can proceed to do my homework. Help is greatly appreciated!

Not sure why there is this error, and is certainly a bug in the version of octave you are using as it indicates that an uninitalized value is being returned from a compiled function, might be due to issues with eigs..

In any case the only version of eigs that exists for octave is the one I have that has serious stability problems and only works (and then just) for real symmetric marices. So I haven't made this version of eigs available. You therefore have two choices. 1) Forget trying to use octave for this code, or
2) change the eigs call to read something like

[phi,te] = eig(Hmatrix);
[te, idx] = sort(Hmatrix);
te = te(1:num_sol);
phi = phi(:,idx(1:num_sol));

though for large matrices and small num_sol this will be significantly slower than using eigs as all of he eigenvectors are calculated and you only pick num_sol of them.

D.