Re: software for manipulating AVI files

From: Brendan Drew
Subject: Re: software for manipulating AVI files
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:19:51 -0600

That, I'm afraid, I couldn't tell you. I try to stay away from canned sequences on principle (this way it's much harder to optimize algorithms to work only with one particular sequence, which makes it a bit easier to design for good general performance)

I vaguely recall something about using Windows BMPs as the frame data with the header data stripped and not being able to use colors > 236 in any channel, but don't quite me on that -- I may be confusing uncompressed AVI with CinePak.

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 29-Sep-2005, Brendan Drew wrote:

| Unfortunately, the AVI file format is not quite as simple as one would | want to believe. AVI is merely a container format, it makes no | statements about how things are compressed or decompressed. Depending on | the codecs you're using, things can become very complicated very quickly | (specifying which codec and then specific parameters for that codec, | followed by relevant sanity checking, correctly matching AVI streams to | codecs when you have multiple versions to choose between, etc.)

OK, I see that now.  I suppose my question displayed my ignorance of
the situation.  I assumed that "AVI file" was well defined.

OK, so suppose we don't care about handling anything more than being
able to read and write the kinds of AVI files that Matlab produces?
Would that be hard to write?  I'm looking at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/directx9_c/directx/htm/avirifffilereference.asp

Given this, I think I can write code that will decode the file I have
(generated with avifile and addframe with no compression).  So the
question I have now is, how is the frame data stored for this kind of
file?

jwe

--
Brendan Drew