expm crashes 2.1.71 on Mandriva Linux box (with possible fix)

From: Daniel Lyddy
Subject: expm crashes 2.1.71 on Mandriva Linux box (with possible fix)
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

All:

I am running Mandriva Linux LE2005 using (mostly)
stock RPMs plus official updates.  However, I have
installed the latest Octave RPMS:

octave-forge-2005.06.13-1mdk
octave-2.1.71-2mdk

from Mandriva's "Cooker" distribution.

I was having a problem using this version with the
stock lapack RPMs from mandriva:

lapack-3.0-11mdk
liblapack3-3.0-11mdk

Whenever I called expm, octave would crash,
complaining that it could not find the symbol "s_copy"
in liblapack.so.3.

I installed the "Cooker" versions of lapack:

lapack-3.0-14mdk
liblapack3-3.0-14mdk

and the problem went away.

It sounds like the RPM packagers need to link these
versions of octave and lapack together in their RPM
spec files, but I suspect that this will not be an
issue when Mandriva rolls out its next release, which
is supposed to be very soon.

However, if you grew impatient waiting for Mandriva to
update its octave RPMs (as I did), the information
above may be of use to you.  There may be other
function calls that will crash octave-2.1.71 until you
update your lapack RPMs to the latest versions.

Dan

http://mail.yahoo.com