Re: speed of octave interpreter

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: speed of octave interpreter
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:22:47 -0400

On 26-Sep-2005, J LOVE wrote:

| I am compiling 2.1.71 as I type and will let you know if my case
| improves.  The last time I used a profiler was on an HP-UX with
| DDE so maybe it's time I update that skill, too.  I will forward if
| I see anything.

I'm not sure, and perhaps David will clarify, but I think the idea was
to insert some cputime() calls at strategic locations in your Octave
code so you could see where the bottlenecks are and whether there was
any specific location that was taking a lot more time in one version,
or whether it is just a general slowdown.  (Yes, a profiler is
something else Octave could use.)

| The main issue that is holding us back is we have a GUI based on
| tk_octave which doesn't run on versions past 2.1.50 where the
| if_exist() and other functions were changed and I don't have the
| budget, know-how or spare time to fix.

You could post the problems here.  Maybe someone would be able to
suggest a quick fix.

jwe