Re: Determining if samples are normal

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Determining if samples are normal
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:24:27 +0000

Joe Koski wrote:

Soren,

Also take a look at the NIST Handbook,

 http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/prc/section2/prc21.htm

for the textbook ways of doing this. I know that both the Chi-square an
Kolmogorov-Smirnov (ks) tests are implemented in octave-forge.

Joe

on 9/25/05 11:59 AM, Søren Hauberg at address@hidden wrote:

Hi,
Does anybody know how I can test wether or not some samples are normaly
distributed? I tried graphical methods, such as looking at histograms
and qqplots, but I don't trust my own judgement enough to use graphical
methods.

/Søren

I agree that the KS test is probably the most widely used. For more info see:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/f/kolmogorov_smirnov_test.html

There is a nice GPL statistics package called GRETL that in many ways complements Octave. A histogram of a data series is accompanied by the KS test with p-values
http://gretl.sourceforge.net/

M.