Re: Determining if samples are normal

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Determining if samples are normal
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:52:55 -0500

"normality test"   would be good.

For what it worth you can alter this slightly and get:

LogNormality test
Chisquare test
discrete test
etc.

Doug

Søren Hauberg wrote:

Thanks. Does this test have a name or should I refer to it as a Stewart-test :-) ?

/Søren

Doug Stewart wrote:

Søren Hauberg wrote:

Hi,
Does anybody know how I can test wether or not some samples are normaly distributed? I tried graphical methods, such as looking at histograms and qqplots, but I don't trust my own judgement enough to use graphical methods.

/Søren

Here is how I did it:
You warp it by the normal curve so that 'normal' data will produce a streight line.
Then you check how streight your line is with the cor() function..
A cor=1 is perfect fit.
A cor =.5 is there is a 50% chance it is from a normal distribution. etc.
The number of data points is also important. etc.
So if you get cor>.9 you can be happy.

## Copyright (C) 2005 doug