Re: Colors in plots and legend position

From: Timothee Lecomte
Subject: Re: Colors in plots and legend position
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:52:21 -0500

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

I recently noticed the following in the NEWS file for gnuplot (from
the CVS archive):

  News, changes and fixes since gnuplot version 4.0
  [...]
  * NEW 3D plots can read RGB color triples as part of input data
  * NEW linetype colors via "lt {palette {frac <val> | cb <val>}}"
  * NEW linetype colors via "lt {rgbcolor {"name" | "#RRGGBB"}}"
  * NEW palette and rgb linetype colors apply to all 2D and 3D plot
  elements

jwe

These features sound great. We've been hearing for a while about things in "gnuplot 4.1", but there's still no actual release. Are there any gnuplot developers who read this list? Can a release be expected any time soon? Some of these features are really needed to improve octave's graphics, but most users aren't willing to download CVS to get them, and I don't think it makes sense to start rewriting octave's plot interface to use them until a release exists.

-Quentin

I am in contact with the developper team since some months, as I work on a new gnuplot interactive terminal (like X11) based on wxwidgets, cross-platform and more user-friendly. I recently asked to the gnuplot mailing list if a release was planned, as the cvs contains many interesting improvement, that will undoubtly interest non-cvs users.

H.B. Broeker answered the following :

" I think it's way too early for that. Worse yet, I'd have to be the one
to do it, and I don't see where I could steal the time for that right
now.  Last time took about us 6 weeks of preparation, the last two of
them nearly full-time on my end of things.  People have got used to a
"release early --- release often" strategy.  Sorry, but with the
licensing issues as they are, that's a non-option for gnuplot.

That set aside, I don't think the code currently has the level of
maturity people rightfully expect from a release version of gnuplot.
There's way too much on-going activity on the 'adding features' front
for that.  We have to let the dust settle a bit before a release can be
considered in earnest.

The most we could usefully do right now is a general review of open
patches and feature requests (...)"

As you can see, he's not really in favor of a release... However, I believe that if octave developpers can write to the list to explain that they would love to have the new features in a stable release in the next weeks/months, gnuplot developpers will be able to find a solution !

There are two problems in his opinion : the current license that implies that original developpers give their agreement to the release, and a lack of time from him. I'm sure that there can be workaround. It may be time to ask for a change in the license, to make it more developper-frindly. Then, there are other active developpers which can help to the release...

So, my opinion is that gnuplot has more than ever a bright future, and octave developpers and users have a role to play in it, at least by asking for a release (and of course say thanks for all the work already done !).

Regards,

Timothée Lecomte