Re: SUSE 9.0 Enterprise 64-bit and Octave installation with Readline 5

From: Javier Arantegui
Subject: Re: SUSE 9.0 Enterprise 64-bit and Octave installation with Readline 5
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:28:40 +0200

Hello,

El Jueves, 22 de Septiembre de 2005 18:05, Quentin Spencer escribió:
> I would suggest
> building your own octave RPM from the SRPM.

I don't think that there are any SRPM written for SUSE. I haven't tried to
rebuild Octave from the Fedora version.

I build my own RPM from source using checkinstall (1). It's really easy to use
and works just fine. It should be included in the SUSE distro.

(1) http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

To compile Octave you do './configure; make; checkinstall' instead of
'./configure; make; make install' and you get your RPM ready to install.

> I thought Octave was included in most of the major distributions, so I'm
> surprised yours doesn't come with Octave available--are you sure it
> isn't?

I think that Octave isn't included as part of SUSE since version 8.1 or so.

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax  +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es