Re: Colors in plots and legend position

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Colors in plots and legend position
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:20:48 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 21-Sep-2005, avraham wrote:

| 1-The number of colors offered by gnuplot and gnuplot-based octave
| graphics is very limited. I guess that the idea is that it is
| easier to distinguish between curves with markedly different
| colours and, if need be, different line types/thicknesses than
| between close hues.
| A different approach is taken by the eplot function of
| octave-epstk. There you can define the color of the lines by the
| RGB content. You may have a look into that.

I recently noticed the following in the NEWS file for gnuplot (from
the CVS archive):

 News, changes and fixes since gnuplot version 4.0
 [...]
 * NEW 3D plots can read RGB color triples as part of input data
 * NEW linetype colors via "lt {palette {frac <val> | cb <val>}}"
 * NEW linetype colors via "lt {rgbcolor {"name" | "#RRGGBB"}}"
 * NEW palette and rgb linetype colors apply to all 2D and 3D plot elements

jwe

These features sound great. We've been hearing for a while about things in "gnuplot 4.1", but there's still no actual release. Are there any gnuplot developers who read this list? Can a release be expected any time soon? Some of these features are really needed to improve octave's graphics, but most users aren't willing to download CVS to get them, and I don't think it makes sense to start rewriting octave's plot interface to use them until a release exists.

-Quentin