Re: Plotting problems under cygwin

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Plotting problems under cygwin
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:40:25 -0700

LUK ShunTim wrote:
Soneson, Joshua E* wrote:

Hello.  I have been playing with octave under cygwin (Windows2000) but
none of the graphics functions seem to work.  No error messages, just
nothing.   I found a thread online which recommended placing the files
pgnuplot.exe, wgnuplot.exe,  wgnuplot.hlp, and wgnuplot.mnu into
C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin, but this still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for your time! -Josh

You need gnuplot and associated X-windows packages to get the graphics.
If you use the cygwin setup porgramme, it should get these dependencies
for you.

See this wiki page
        http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows

I recently tested out octave under cygwin, pulling in octave, octave-forge, X, etc. So for my first test I tried to plot something: nope nothing happenned. It turns out that you have to start X first, i.e.

> startx
(opens an xterm)
> octave
(plotting works)

I don't know if this is detailed in docs or a wiki somewhere or not.

Jonathan