Re: Q. Re Octave-Forge

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Q. Re Octave-Forge
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:38:01 -0500

Terry Duell wrote:

The web link talks about Octave 2.1.71 and Octage-forge being provided with
Fedora Core 4. I have just got hold of FC4 on DVD and Octave or Octave-forge
rpms are nowhere to be seen. Perhaps I have misunderstood. Do they have to
be downloaded from a RedHat website?

Yes (or one of the Fedora mirrors). Octave and related programs are part of "Fedora Extras", which is a growing collection of software designed to work on Fedora Core. You can install programs from Fedora Extras using the "yum" utility, which is similar to Debian's apt-get. From a command prompt (as root), you should be able to install octave and octave-forge (and all the other dependencies) with a simple "yum install octave-forge". This will automatically select one of the mirrors, calculate all of the dependencies, and install everything you need.

-Quentin