Re: MPI octave with hyperthreading

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: MPI octave with hyperthreading
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:36:52 -0200

With regard to Javier's message, my experience with a 2 way Xeon SMP machine is that it in fact works quite well. The example programs in my paper at http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/aubautbar/637.05.htm (forthcoming in Computational Economics) run about twice as fast on the SMP machine lambooting 2 nodes. Note that these results are not in the paper, there I only report results for a cluster. In fact, enabling HT and lambooting 4 nodes often gives a better than 2X speedup. But the example programs I used exhibit data parallelism, so probably memory contention is not a big problem with them. The LAM/MPI documentation claims that it should work fine with SMP, and in my limited experience, this is true. The parallelknoppix CD has the example problems from my paper, as well as the Pi example in MPITB installed and ready to run, if anyone would like to do additional experimentation.