Re: Negative zeros?

From: Tom Holroyd
Subject: Re: Negative zeros?
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:48:06 -0400 (EDT)

Ooo, flame on!

I am sorry, John, David, and Stephan. I am a mathematician. I don't
choose to read nonsense. Zero is zero is zero.

Ah, well, as a mathematician, you will then no doubt be familiar with the proof that .999... is equal to 1. How about that? In the decimal number system, there are two valid representations for 1. I guess we should throw out the decimal number system then, because one is one is one.

Or, unless you have a constructive proof of the existence of R (and you don't), I suggest you learn to live with the realities of trying to represent R in a finite (not to mention efficient, not to mention fixed by the hardware) realm.

Just add 0.